14 August 2008

Motherhood perspective from a working woman

So, here I am again. Not sure if I'll get to finish this post or not. I guess I'll just have to type really quickly.

When I first went on maternity leave I felt lost. I went from a job with contact with people continually to sitting at home with only the cats to talk to. Doing housework is rather unsatisfying and frankly quite painful (physically) when highly preggers with twins so that wasn't really all 'that' great either.

Now, the girls are nearly 8 weeks old and earlier in the week I had a spat at Duane. Not that it is his 'fault'... he was just in the firing line. My main complain: I don't know what to do with my days. There are no days off in motherhood. There is no difference between weekdays and weekends except that Duane is at home and this makes a few things significantly easier. (Two babies crying and two adults to soothe them for starters).
The days are not exceptionally difficult to get through, it is just really boring. They are all more-or-less the same. The most frustrating thing is that I try to do everything so the girls are happy and feel safe. It is a rather thankless job at the moment. Not a lot of smiles, and it is not like I could come up with a special fun activity for them which they'll enjoy as they are WAY too young for that. I guess thats my main problem at the moment. I'm trying to do the best job that I can and I'm not getting much feedback from those whom I'm doing the job for if it meets their needs or not.

That sounds so petty in a lot of ways, Babies don't communicate except by crying. Ah well. They are putting on weight, I guess thats something.

I'll report back later this week...

Take care all, and be well.

No comments: